March 3, 2012

A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness



My rating: 1 of 5 stars
This story touched on a few things like green plants for healing and apothecary and child bullying and of the pain of losing someone you love to cancer .
As if these topics needed anymore discussion. I think the author could have done a better job with what he had been left with from Siobhan Dowd. I will say this much; the illustrations of the book are somewhat appealing but not good enough for a child therefore not for me either.

I hated this book! It's the stupidest book I've ever read. It brought tears to my eyes and moved me deeply, but that didn't mean the book was  good.

I thought about what I would feel and what it would be like if my own mother passed away. Would I be able to speak the truth; would I be able to hold on to her tight like that stupid and stubborn little boy Conor did (he was willing to die instead of telling the truth OMG ! how stubborn can you be?) with his own mother who lay dying?

Conor was finally able to let his Mum go by holding on to her . ya makes a lot of sense hey? Just like all the other stories the monster tells. They are the truth after all, and truth is often more bizarre, ya I get it.It is from personal experience that truth is often harder to tell then lies are, I know. Most people run away and can't handle the pain and grief over life's tragic events instead of honestly facing them.

We don't even know if she(the mother) had cancer! What did she even die of anyway? Although we can safely speculate it was a type of cancer because her hair was falling out and such UGH!!! At least Conor had his grandma to take care of him.

Is this monster supposed to be the little boy's fears? Who cares about a stupid Yew tree anyway?? I apparently didn't care much for this novel.

View all my reviews

4 comments :

  1. This is the first un-glowing review I've heard of this book. Now I'm even more eager to read it to see if it actually does live up to the hype. Great (and honest) review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) I had heard nothing but good reviews too even the saleslady told me she heard it was good. It just goes to show that everyone is different at least I know I am :p

    I tried to like it in the beginning; a few weeks ago when I started reading it but I just couldn't. I didn't like Conor ; I thought he was a very stubborn child nor did I care about his mother (call me insensitive) let alone his grandma and well the tree monster was something else entirely I had no feeling for it either way . It couldn't have just been my mood because I still didn't like it :/ and yes I'm being honest .

    You might like it and that's ok :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your is probably the first negative review I have seen of this book , thanks for being honest!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog!