April 14, 2012

The Mockingjay

Letter M Chapter 15,16: Medicine and Meat

Rue and Katniss become Allies. Rue heals Katniss' bee stings by chewing up medicine leaves in her mouth and applying it to the sting which relieves and soothes the pain immediately, bringing out the venom poison. Katniss shares her meat with Rue and treats Rue's burns with the burn medicine she got from a sponsor. I think Katniss' mothering skills attract Rue but the mockingjay pin is what made her decide to trust her. Back home she sings to the mockingjay and they can carry messages for her like when she signals a call letting everyone know when work is done. It is also the mockingjay that becomes the symbol for the rebellion. Between the two of them they make up a mockingjay call to communicate to each other. Rue is the same age as Prim.

Kat feels stronger with a whole new sense of perspective in the Game now that she has a weapon to hunt with (the bow and arrow). She strategizes over what her next move will be. Rue informs Kat that the Careers are hording all the supplies near the cornucopia and Katniss thinks maybe if they could even out the playing field and get rid of their food supply it would make it a fair game because the Careers don't know how to be hungry like they do.

The Mockingjay Call

5 comments :

  1. I haven't read the book or seen the movie. I know... I'm so out of it! I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month. You can see mine at myqualityday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read this one, but it's on my list! New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the movie and loved it. What a great idea to use a Hunger Games theme for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've neither read the books nor seen the movie...that will have to happen AFTER April...Good work getting the buttons installed!
    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-Host of the April A to Z Challenge
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the sound of the mockingjays in the movie. Glad to hear it again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog!