June 9, 2014

The Hobbit: J.R.R. Tolkien


The HobbitTHE HOBBIT by J.R.R. Tolkien


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The audiobook is phenomenal. I really like the voices of the characters. You can actually listen to the audiobook free on youtube HERE.

Brief Summary

Whisked away from his comfortable, unambitious life in his hobbit-hole in Bag End by Gandalf the wizard and a company of dwarves, Bilbo Baggins finds himself caught up in a plot to raid the treasure hoard of Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon...



After I read the book I watched The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Need I say that the book and the movie are as different as hot and cold are? Honestly.

I thought the book was ....a brilliant and even cute fantasy adventure. When I saw The Desolation of Smaug I was shocked at how it'd become a dark and dangerous series of events. The trouble with Orcs hunting the dwarves in the book hadn't been much of an issue. Talk about harassing! Those Orcs are so infuriating, in fact in the Children of Hurin Orcs did rule middle earth.

Anyway, the best parts of The Hobbit were the encounters with: the trolls, the Goblin caves, meeting Gollum, the orcs and the wolves, the flight of the Eagles and Beorn...uh, the spiders and the dwarves being captured by the Elven King, Bilbo rescuing them in crates and floating down river to safety. NO ORCS!

I then had to watch The Hobbit:An Unexpected Journey. I must say I was relieved at how much I liked it more but I still recommend you read the book. Even in the forest of Milkwood with the spiders and the faeries. The visuals made it frightening. In the book Beorn the skinchanger (the bear) was their friend and it was the Goblins that almost killed the dwarves, NOT the Orcs! We shall have to see what happens to Smaug in the last movie of The Hobbit Trilogy: There and Back. I already know what happens however.

What I didn't like about Thorin is how he became a greedy sob with the treasure and because of that The Battle of Five Armies came upon Thorin on the mountain. Other than that there was nothing I didn't like about the book and I recommend reading it.

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog!