June 30, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


WHAT I READ LAST WEEK

It had been far too long since I intended to read Harry Potter, so last week I embarked on a Harry Potter marathon and my mind was ready . It was about time I took them off my shelf. Now I can finally say I read the books!  I enjoyed watching the movies as an added benefit and it was a rewarding experience, I only wish I'd had some butterbeer to drink or some Honeydukes Ever flavour beans or Fizzing Whizzbees.



Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)The Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter #1) by J.K. Rowling

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm finally in the mood to reading Harry Potter. I admit after watching the movies, it did take away the enjoyment but I promise NEVER again to watch a movie until AFTER I've read the book.

I don't know how many times I began reading the Philosopher's Stone only soon abandoning it because all's I could see were the images I'd already seen on screen and afterall, I own the movies and can just pop the DVD in and watch it because the movies are so good but alas, there had always been a few details that I missed.


Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2)The Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2) by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Wow, that was unreal!

When Harry is with the Dursley's you can't help but feel sorry for him because of being treated so unfairly by his Muggle Family. However, everyone knows about Harry Potter , the boy who lived. He's quite famous in the wizarding world because of the scar on his forehead. When he was a baby his mother sacrificed herself to save Harry from Voldemort. We know that it was the love for her child that defended him but Voldemort's a complex character that we won't fully understand until the very end apparently.

Dobby the house-elf tries to persuade Harry not to go back to Hogwarts because he's terrified of the evil plans against Harry, his intentions are good but Harry ends up with a load of grief not just from the Dursley's but from Hogwarts too. School didn't start off on the right foot for Harry or Ron Weasley as Dobby had blocked off the wall leading to platform 9 3/4 and they missed the train and had to borrow Mr. Weasley's flying car and crashed into a Whomping Willow. They both were in major trouble all because of Dobby's good intentions. *sigh

Ginny Weasley got hoodwinked in Voldemorts dark powers. Mr. Malfoy put an object of dark magic inside her basket of schoolbooks. It was a diary that belonged to Tom Riddle. She was unaware that he was controlling her and it almost killed her and some of the students at Hogwarts including Harry , but Harry and Ron figured it out and were able to solve the game of Clue and save the day.


Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)The Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3) by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I liked this one for all of the hullabaloo in Hogsmeade. The letter Harry received while on the train from Sirius Black was awwwwwwesome.




Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)The Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter #4) by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ugh! How frustrating and stupid Cornelius Fudge is! I was outraged that before Bart Crouch could bear testimony to Voldemorts rising again, Barty was killed by a dementor! AND on top of that Cornelius didn't believe Voldemort was back again even after Harry Potter saw him rise before his eyes! even after Cedric died there in the graveyard! It was a very sad ending and the only ones who seemed to have gained anything this year was George and Fred Weasley. Harry Potter gave the thousand galleons he won from the Tri Wizard Tournament to them.

I would've never guessed who the culprit was who'd been spying at Hogwarts the whole time right under everyone's noses. From the beginning the story flowed quite nicely and now that I've read it, I understood a lot more than I'd perceived from watching the movie.

Something we learn by reading the book that we don't see in the movie was that Rita Skeeter was an Animagus who transformed herself into a black beetle. That's why she was able to write in depth stories about things to put in the Daily Prophet Newspaper.

I've been on a Harry Potter book/movie marathon for the past week starting with the Philosopher's Stone. I have to say the movie cuts out a lot of insightful information however I thought the tent the Weasleys stayed in looked better in the movie ha! The house elfs were completely left out in this movie whereas Winky played a big role and so did Dobby and the rest of the Hogwarts house elves.


Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)The Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter #5) by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really dislike Dolores Umbridge . She truly destroyed all the beauty and glory from Hogwarts and she deserved more than what she got. Her and her stupid *hem-hem* UGH! I would've wanted rather her die than well....Sirius Black. Oh the injustice! Her and the minister both disbelieved Harry and Dumbledore about the fact that Voldemort was back, and ruined the school. It was a nightmare. A NIGHTMARE!


Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)The Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter #6) by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Hagrid crying over Aragog the giant spider was kinda silly as was his brother Grawp. I mean Grawp was silly and Harry should've known who the half blood prince was . He should've known who that textbook belonged to and shown it to Dumbledore. I liked Professor Slughorn for eventually helping Harry to see the last thread of truth about Voldemorts Horcruxes. Harry's private lessons with Dumbledore were very interesting. A bit of hard investigation on Dumbledores part I'd say.


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)The Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

That was SO fun. I must admit I've always had a crush on Snape. He has a very powerful mind. Dumbledore on the other hand is a bit too old for me lol but he knew the difference between good and evil for sure. These two characters are what made the story great, exciting even.

Like Aberforth, I liked Dobby and I was sad he died.
I loved-to-hate The Malfoys, Narcissa, Lucias and Draco. It was touching to see how great their mother and son bond was.
The Weasleys could've all been from the house of Ravenclaw instead of Gryffindor, for their wit was a treasure indeed.
Hermione was only the stronger for being half-blood or a Mudblood as Draco so often called her.

I am very glad to have read the Harry Potter books. They cleared up a lot of the missing pieces and I gained information the movies failed to transmit. I urge everyone to read the books! I have been a bit obsessed over Harry Potter since I started reading them.



WHAT I'M CURRENTLY READING

Since I finished The Hobbit recently I am currently on another marathon. The Lord of The Rings . I just finished with book 1 of The Fellowship of the Rings : The Ring Sets Out .


The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, Book 1) The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, Book 1) by J.R.R. Tolkien
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

There aren't many books that are written quite like this anymore. It is a well written fantasy about Hobbits mainly Bilbo Baggins and his nephew Frodo, who had come upon the unfortunate findings of a Ring . The ONE ring to rule them all...etc that was lost long ago and picked up by Smiegle. This ring is the sole connection between The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings. I must say that I adored The Hobbit and I can't wait for the last movie to come out. How exciting.

Frodo is so sweet and kind as are most Hobbits, which I find quite fascinating and satisfying. The Elvens are also a peaceful and gentle people who make suitable friends of Hobbits.

The adventures of Frodo Baggins thus begins in the Shire and in this installment, ends near the Elven territory of Rivendell, called The Ford. I kept looking for signs of where Bilbo journeyed approximately 80 hobbit years ago. Where Frodo and Company arrived at the 3 stone Trolls they sat down and ate. How wonderful it was to be in the same vicinity as Bilbo! Oh and at the watchtower of Amon Sul that is where the Orc leader in The Hobbit stationed his army and one of them was killed for his failed attempt to kill Thorin Oakenshield. Herein is where the Dark Riders stabbed Frodo in the shoulder.

Of course I've watched the Lord of The Rings movies years ago, but it's immensely rewarding to read along with the Audiobook Read by Phil Dragash on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jYdUf...


WHAT I PLAN ON READING

I will continue my book marathon until I finish the 7th and last LOTR book . The Appendix



1 comment :

  1. I read the Harry Potter books as each came out. I bet it is a very different experience to read them as a marathon. It has also been quite a while since I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog!